This past weekend, my father in law and brother in law came over on Sunday afternoon to watch the Titans-Chargers game with Dear Husband. In addition to having loads of housework to do, I was in a baking mood too!
So I decided to create a GirlyGeekGirl original recipe: homemade funfetti donuts!
I donut know about you, but hole-y cow, sprinkles are the best!
It’s funny, Dear Husband wandered into the kitchen while I was baking — and promptly helped himself to a lick of delicious batter right out of the bowl! — and asked me if I prefered the ball sprinkles or the elongated ones more.
As if that’s even a question! 🙂
Clearly, the little balls are superior — and only in rainbow flavor, of course.
Tell me, what is your favorite kind of sprinkle? I’m a sucker for anything rainbow, so I always go for extra rainbow sprinkles on my ice cream whenever we go out for dessert.
Any who, this weekend I decided to whip up some donuts for the guys while they watched the game. (I would have loved to have watched too, but I had way too many things to do around the house, plus I’m a Panthers girl, not a Titans girl!)
I made them somewhat healthier-ish, using plain almond milk instead of cow juice, egg whites instead of whole eggs, half Splenda along with the granulated sugar, and tossing in a spoonful of ground flaxseed. I decided to splurge and use regular butter, though. After one bite of these babies fresh out of the oven, I don’t regret it one bit. 🙂
The donuts themselves are basically homemade yellow cake with sprinkles folded in the batter at the last second before they pop in the oven.
So tell me, what’s your favorite way to do donuts? Fried? Baked? Cake-y? Dough-y?
Believe it or not I’m not a big donut fan (I’m more of a cake gal ;-)). But I know Dear Husband is a donut fanatic, and I wanted to make him and the guys something yummy to snack on during the game.
Until next time,
Yields: 6 donuts
Prep time: 15 minutes
Bake time: 11 minutes
- 6 tbsp butter, softened
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 2-3 tbsp rainbow sprinkles, as desired
- 5 tbsp sugar
- 5 tbsp Splenda
- 1/3 cup plain almond milk (can use regular milk)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup liquid egg white
- Let butter sit out for at least half an hour, or until softened.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray down a donut pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Whisk together flour, flaxseed, salt, baking soda, and baking powder.
- Beat butter and sugar/Splenda mixture on medium with an electric mixer until fluffy.
- Stir in dry ingredient mixture, along with egg, milk, and vanilla. Beat on medium-low for 2 minutes, scraping sides of bowl with a rubber spatula as necessary.
- Gently fold sprinkles into batter, and spoon into donut pan.
- Bake for 11 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Frost as desired.