Even if the temperatures outside are still fluctuating into summer territory, I’m in the mood for fall comfort foods. Which means, soup!
Recently I tried my hand at whipping up a chicken and wild rice soup. I think the recipe still needs a bit of tweaking, but it was too yummy as is not to go ahead and share!
Below is a snapshot of the ingredients — minus a cup of low-fat milk I added after it had been in the slow cooker for about ten hours. But more on that later!
The ingredients are pretty simple: chicken, veggies, wild rice, spices, veggie broth, and cream of celery condensed soup.
Unlike some many other slow cooker chicken and wild rice recipes I’ve seen on Pinterest, my version does not involve multiple steps. It’s the perfect dump-and-plug slow cooker recipe for busy bees like me who are at work for a good twelve hours every day and don’t have the luxury of multiple steps during the workday.
When I got home in the evening, my soup looked pretty good, except that a lot more of the liquid got absorbed by the rice than I had anticipated. It’s funny – when I left for work in the morning, I was a tad afraid that I had added too much broth and that my soup would be too runny. The rice really absorbed a lot more broth than I expected, so when I got home it was a lot closer to a stew than a soup.
All out of veggie broth, I added a cup of low-fat milk at the literal eleventh hour. The extra liquid did just the trick, because the soup came out thick and creamy, but still soup-y enough.
I sliced up some brie to add a little somethin’ somethin’, and it was delish!
Tell me, what’s your favorite fall comfort food?
Until next time,
Slow Cooker Chicken & Wild Rice Soup
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 hours cooked on low
- 2 – 3 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, shaved
- 1 cup red onions, chopped
- 1 cup wild rice
- 2 cans condensed cream of celery soup
- 1 carton veggie stock
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp chili pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- Add chicken, celery, carrots, onions, and rice to slow cooker. Sprinkle with spices.
- Pour all liquids in crock. Stir with a clean spoon, ensuring rice is not clumped against the side of the crock.
- Cook on low for 10 hours.
- After 10 hours, the chicken will have absorbed enough liquid to be shredded very easily using just a large soup spoon. Break up the chicken this way, and serve.