Before I dive into this week’s Toast of Tuesday post, let me apologize for being MIA lately, both in terms of not posting Fangirl Friday last week or Misc Monday today, and in terms of being really behind in reading y’all’s posts and catching up on comments.
I couldn’t let another day go by without a post though, so without further ado, tune into this delicious recipe for (somewhat) health(ier) pumpkin donuts!
Now, don’t let the chia seeds and flax seed fool you — these babies are still packed with regular flour and white sugar. But hey, they’re made with egg whites and have healthy flax seeds and chia seeds too! Plus there’s about half the amount of sugar that would ordinarily be in something like this. So that’s something. 😉
We’re going to start by whisking all of the dry ingredients together in a large bowl: flour, baking soda, baking powder, flax seed, cinnamon, and sea salt.
Next we’ll stir in the wet ingredients: egg whites, liquid coconut oil, low-fat milk, and of course, the main star: a whole can of pumpkin.
After spraying down a donut tray with anti-stick spray, we’ll fill each ring to the top and sprinkle liberally with chia seeds.
The recipe yields about a dozen, but since I only have one donut pan, I baked each half dozen separately, for about 15 minutes each.
Behold these autumnal beauties!!!!!
They are oh so moist and filling — perfect for a crisp fall morning, or when you want a little something to dunk in your coffee.
Getting hungry yet? 😉
Here’s the recipe:
Chia and Flax Pumpkin Donuts
Yields: 1 dozen medium donuts
Prep time: 15 minutes
Bake time: 15-17 minutes
- 1 (15 oz) can Pumpkin puree, pure
- 1/4 cup liquid egg whites
- 1 tbsp low-fat milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Coconut oil
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp flax seeds, ground
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon, ground
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- whole chia seeds, as needed for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375F. Spray a donut pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Whisk together dry ingredients (except chia seeds) in a large bowl: flour, flax seeds, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the liquid ingredients: pumpkin puree, egg whites, milk, vanilla, and coconut oil.
- Gently fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients, until just mixed.
- Fill each donut circle to the brim. Before placing in oven, sprinkle liberally with chia seeds.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Enjoy, and happy fall, y’all!